Sunday, April 10, 2011

The flow of ancient, startling words

The KJV translators weren’t always interested in creating smooth, easy phrasings. Not like today’s Bible translations. Sometimes they opted for older forms of speech, “classic” sounding words, and cadence, rather than what was smooth. I like that. The result is memorable language. I cannot imagine memorizing Psalm 23, for instance, in any other translation.
The same sort of strategy works in other aspects of life. For instance, have you ever noticed that some of the most memorable radio voices aren’t smooth? A couple of the most frequent on National Public Radio even have lisps and distinct regional accents. Others have quirky cadences and pronunciations—so that I know who is talking the moment that I hear their voice come over the airwaves. They are like celery to my ears! I seem to hear what they are saying better than what the smoother and easily digestible voices of other radio personalities are saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment